Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm a Stranger Here Myself, by Bill Bryson

I found myself lacking things to read this past week, so I picked up this book that I bought a few months ago. I read Bryson's A Walk in the Woods about two years ago and loved it. This story is a collection of the column Bryson got suckered into writing by a friend of his about moving back to America from a different country (namely, Britain). However, the America he knew as a child was gone. In its place was an America that held frozen breakfast pizza and 24/7 floss hotlines. While he sings the praises of certain parts of American culture (antique diners, baseball, etc), he sheds his own personal brand of hilarious light on others. His columns are mostly funny - I remember a specific one making fun of the vast and complex U.S. tax form - but he does tackle serious issues. For example, he writes a column about parting with his first child as his son goes to college, and others regarding political issues. His simple observations about life are hilarious and all-too-true. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good laugh or an outsiders look in at our own country.

Overall: 9 out of 10.

Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Broadway (June 6, 2000)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 076790382X
ISBN-13: 978-0767903820

M

No comments:

Post a Comment