Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cirque du Freak: The Lake of Souls, by Darren Shan

This book was great. I am thankfully almost finished with the series and will be able to move on to something else. On another note, my mom finally ordered a subscription to VegNews magazine for me. WOOT!

What I liked: I liked the idea of a search for a main character's past identity. I also liked that said search was extremely well-put together; each quest item was completely necessary to help them find Harkat's soul. The satisfying macabre touches come for me when Spit's secrets are revealed. The anagramic forshadowing was genius on Shan's part, and although I saw it coming with the teeth, I never guessed who the past soul was. This book really breaks Shan's stylism - a book void of plot until the end, when a very big overall plot piece is revealed. The tenth installment in this series is full of satisfying and surprising plot twists. As for an important plot piece, meddler Desmond Tiny plays a much larger part in this book, which becomes very important later in the series.


What I didn't like: I don't have very many complaints against this book, other than the dialogue. Shan's dialogue skills are nothing to write home about.

Overall: 8 out of 10!

Details:

Mass Market Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers (April 1, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0316154377
ISBN-13: 978-0316154376

No comments:

Post a Comment